WINGS: Working Interdisciplinary Network of Guardianship Stakeholders
Florida WINGS is a collaborative group of stakeholders dedicated to creating solutions through court-community partnerships by identifying, assessing and improving guardianship practices and other decision-making alternatives to enhance the quality of care and lives of vulnerable adults.
The vision of Florida WINGS is to serve the best interests of those needing decision-making assistance in order to promote their well-being, dignity, self-determination and independence.
Year 1 (2017 – 2018):
✓ Develop and Prioritize Future Goals
- Establish a planning process to sustain FL WINGS.
Future Goals of Florida’s WINGS Initiative
In priority order
- Determine which circuits do not have a sufficient number of physicians participating on their examining committees and develop a recruitment plan for those circuits to use
- Design a toolkit containing comprehensive information about decision-making options, for distribution to the public
- Provide law enforcement officers and first responders with one or more tools to assist them in identifying and reporting abuse, neglect or exploitation
- Develop and pilot a volunteer court visitor program
- Develop a new component of the annual guardianship report that comprehensively addresses restoration of rights
- Create model annual guardianship/guardian advocacy reporting forms for use in all Florida circuits
- Design an evaluation guide for courts to use when approving family guardianship training courses, to improve course consistency, quality, and content
- Establish a process for courts to notify the Social Security Administration when a guardian of the property who is also a representative payee is removed